Saturday, May 30, 2009

When God Says Nothing...Or Does He?

Last Sunday night, I had the privilege of hearing Chaplain of the Senate, Barry Black, speak at our church. The title of his message was, "When God Says Nothing." He told us his story about growing up with an alcoholic father and how every day for sixteen years his mother would gather he and and his siblings to pray for his father to stop drinking. During that entire time, his Dad just kept on drinking and God said nothing. Eventually, he gave up praying. He would sit there listening to his mother and siblings pray, but his heart had hardened because he never saw any answers. He lost touch with him and went on to his career. One day, several years later, he was asked to preach somewhere and at the end of the service, he did an alter call. He looked up at the people who were coming up front, and there in the middle of them was his father. Instead of being overjoyed, he was thinking to himself, "Here are all these people in suits and dresses, and here comes my father in his overalls!" He was laughing when he was talking to us and he said, "Now if God can use me; a hardened vessel who had given up praying, then he can use anyone to lead people to Jesus." It really was an amazing story.

He had other stories of times when he really needed an answer from the Lord, but got nothing. Then, he began to tell stories of times when he was earnestly praying and God answered before his prayer was even finished. Those were the times when his heart was in the right place. He gave us some reasons why God can be quiet sometimes:

1. Sometimes God is quiet because of our own sin. Isaiah 59:1-2 says, "Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save, nor his ear too dull to hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear."
2. Sometimes we're just not ready for what he has to say.
3. Sometimes it's because we are praying with improper motives. We need to get to the place where we have a servant's heart and we don't care who gets the credit.
4. Sometimes it's because of our unbelief and lack of faith.

Whatever the reason, God is God. He knows when and how to answer us. He may not always move when we want him to, but he WILL move, if love is our motivation. God is still listening to us even when he doesn't answer us, or when we think he hasn't answered. He could very well be answering our prayers even as we pray them, but if the answer we're looking for isn't appearing before our very eyes exactly the way we prayed for it, then we think he hasn't heard us. Let Him decide how he answers your prayers. He knows what is best for us. Sometimes, we need to cry out in desperation when we are needing to hear from Him.

I was at that place a couple days ago. I was dealing with a situation where I was really scared about something. I needed to hear from the Lord. As soon as I got home, I just cried out to God for him to show me something in His Word that would answer and comfort me. He told me to read Psalm 11. I read the theme of the passage first, "God's rule provides stability in the midst of panic. Because we can trust him, we can face our problems." I burst into tears even before I read the scriptures. He heard me and he answered me!

Psalm 11:1-7 says, "In the Lord I take refuge. How then can you say to me: 'Flee like a bird to your mountain. For look, the wicked bend their bows; they set their arrows against the strings to shoot from the shadows at the upright in heart. When the foundations are being destroyed, what can the righteous do?' The Lord is in his holy temple; the Lord is on his heavenly throne. He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them. The Lord examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates. On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur; a scorching wind will be their lot. For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face."

David was forced to flee for safety several times. Being God's anointed king didn't spare him from injustice and hatred from others. Just like we are not immune to the enemy's attacks against us, even though we are God's precious children. This psalm may have been written when he was being hunted by someone. He fled, but not as if all was lost. He knew God was in control. Even though he wisely avoided trouble, he did not fearfully run away from his troubles. Faith in God keeps us from losing hope and helps us to resist fear. David was comforted and optimistic because he knew God was greater than anything his enemies could bring against him. Here is what my commentary says about verses 4 & 5: When the foundations are shaking and you wish you could hide, remember that God is still in control. His power is not diminished by any turn of events. Nothing happens without his knowledge and permission. When you feel like running away - run to God. He will restore justice and goodness on the earth in his good time. God does not preserve believers from difficult circumstances, but he tests both the righteous and the wicked. For some, God's tests become a refining fire, while for others, they become an incinerator for destruction. Don't ignore or defy the tests and challenges that come your way. Use them as opportunities to grow.

This psalm spoke to me because I was starting to let fear and panic overtake me. When God heard me and answered me, he reminded me that I don't have to be afraid of anything the enemy throws at me because He is on my side. I was about to let the test become an incinerator of my faith, rather than a refining fire. But, I chose to rise up in faith instead of crumble in fear. As a result, I ended up doing some major devil butt-kicking and what I was praying about was resolved. We MUST trust in the Lord at all times. We must not shrink back in fear when the enemy tries to overtake us. He is under our feet and we have all authority in Jesus' name to kick him out of our home. Take your place and be ready to fight. Get in the Word, meditate on it day and night. Joshua 1:8-9 says, "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Rise up in faith! You will see your prayers answered!

No comments: