Sunday, January 29, 2012

I Know A Secret

It's pretty quiet in my house at the moment...a rare moment indeed.  The girls are eating pancakes and watching cartoons, and Lewis (our puppy) is on his bed happily chewing on a new toy.  I am also eating pancakes and trying to think of a reason why I shouldn't be completely content.  After all, these are really good gluten free pancakes, if I do say so myself.  The truth is, I've been thinking about the secret to being content in all circumstances and wondering why it's still so hard sometimes.

Paul said in Philippians 4:11-13, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

When you read those scriptures, can you find the secret to being content?  The secret is that we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength.  We can draw on His power for strength and He will give us what we need in any circumstance.  At times, I catch myself reverting back to my own strength.  I try my plan first and when it fails, then I go to God for help.  What can I say?  I'm a dummy.  No, I'm just human.  I am a person who likes to solve problems, whether they be my own or someone else's.  I don't like suffering, and I sure don't like watching other people suffer.  So, if there's something I can do, I do everything I can to help the situation...but, here's my problem.  What do I do when I've done all I can do and I still can't solve the problem?  What do I do when I follow my Doctor's advice to a 'T' and I still have the problem?  Even more, what do I do when I've gone to Jesus and I STILL have the same problem?  Can I still be content?  The answer is Yes!

Is it easy to be content when you are in pain?  Let's be honest.  No, it's not easy.  But, it's possible.  Am I saying you should be content to stay in pain?  No!  But you can be content in the pain.  There's a big difference between being content while you're in pain and being content to stay in pain.  I know when I wake up in pain every day that God is with me.  I know that His grace is sufficient for me and that if I just keep breathing, he'll do the rest of what I need to make it through the day.  I am content in his presence.  As long as I know with all my heart that he is with me, which I do, then I know I'm going to be OK.  I know that His power is made perfect in my weakness.  However, I am not content to stay in this pain.

I know it sounds like I'm contradicting myself when I say that I'm content in pain, but I'm not content to stay in pain.  God's will for us is to be healed and whole.  He came to set us free from pain, but at the same time, he said we should expect it.  These are some of the mysteries that I've been thinking a lot about lately.  I will never attempt to "figure God out" because that would be impossible.  But, I do want to continue to learn everything I can about his character, about how he operates.  If I didn't spend so much time reading and learning about how much he loves me, I would be a really confused and depressed person.  Because why on earth would a loving Father let his child suffer for so long?  I used to ask that question a lot.  I don't anymore.  When you know that someone loves you so much that they would even let you continue to suffer if it meant that something really great was going to happen as a result, then you can be content in the suffering. 

Romans 5:3-5 says, "Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us." 

James 1:2-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.  Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

I think letting perseverance finish it's work is the hard part.  When you're in pain and exhausted to your core, you don't want to persevere.  You want to give up.  But, victory is gained when you keep on going, keep on persevering, keep on trusting, keep on believing, keep on hoping...never give up! 

A friend of mine posted the following picture on Facebook a couple days ago and it really sums up what I'm trying to say.

I don't want to be the person who gives up right before my breakthrough.  I want to be the person on top who is charging forward, equipped with the tools that are going to get me to my treasure, my promise; full of hope and determination.  Is the work easy?  No way.  Is it worth it?  Absolutely.  I am doing my best on a daily basis to be content in my circumstances, but not be content to stay in my circumstances.  I know I will succeed because I know God is with me.  I know he loves me, and that's all I need to know.

No comments: