Saturday, March 22, 2014

Day 11: Stolen Pillows

I woke up this morning and headed downstairs to begin my daily routine. I start by opening the blinds on my front door before moving on to the living room blinds. I sleepily opened the blinds on my front door, started to walk away, and then did a double-take. The pillows on my patio bench were gone. I asked the girls if they had moved them when they were playing outside yesterday evening and they said, "No." I asked Josh if he had moved them and he said, "No." They were stolen.

This is the first time we've ever had anything stolen since we moved into this house over four years ago. We live in what is considered to be a safe neighborhood. Everyone looks out for each others' children and homes. We have amazing neighbors. So, I was really surprised this happened. I was also mad. I realize they were only outdoor pillows. It's not the pillows that matter to me, although I did like them and really didn't want to have to replace them. What matters is that someone was right outside our front door last night as we slept and we had no idea they were there, stealing from us. Our dog didn't even bark. Not that he would, anyway. He immediately loves everyone he comes in contact with. Even though it was something of trivial value that was taken, I still feel violated.

I hate that feeling. It's unsettling. It makes you begin to ask questions about who could have done it, and why? Why right now? Why us? We have enough on our plate as it is. I would like to have a "Pollyanna" attitude about it and think that it was a homeless person who really needed a pillow to lie their head on at night. But, it was most likely some punk kids who thought it would be funny. Well, it's not funny to me. Nothing else on our porch was taken. It makes no sense. I'm grateful they only took the pillows and didn't try to break into our home. We pray protection over our home every night before we go to sleep. We trust that God will keep intruders outside our doors. We go to sleep in peace and I'm determined that this incident will not threaten the peace in our hearts about feeling safe at home. God knows who took our pillows. I'll trust Him to deal with them.

The scripture that immediately came to mind when I saw my missing pillows was John 10:10 where Jesus says, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." I like the New Living Translation, too. "The thief's purpose it to kill and steal and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life."

As I mentioned before, it's not about the pillows. Satan has tried to steal, kill, and destroy so much lately, that it just magnified the sense of loss and frustration I've already been feeling. I mean, can I be honest and raw with you again? Is that ok? Our enemy knows our weaknesses. He doesn't know our future, but he knows our past. He knows the things we've already endured, so he knows exactly where to point his arrow and make his mark, with the intent to take us out. The good news is, Jesus protects, heals, and restores.

We must be prepared each day. We must not grow complacent when things are going well, and forget that we have an active enemy waiting in the wings. I'm not saying Satan stole my pillows. But he does use people to act in certain ways to hit us where it hurts. We are not to live in fear of him, but we must be aware of him. In Ephesians 6:10-17, Jesus tells us what to do and how to put on the Armor of God daily:

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

I didn't wake up this morning wondering if anything would be missing from my front porch. But, because my trust is in God, it didn't ruin my day and it didn't make me fearful. Annoyed, yes. Who wouldn't be? But, I am not afraid of the enemy. Know why? Because Jesus says he's under my feet. Jesus said in John 16:33 that in this world we will have trouble, but to take heart because He has already overcome the world. The day is coming when Satan will get what he deserves. Until that day, let's arm ourselves with the full armor of God and fight. Jesus walks before us, beside us, and behind us. We have nothing to fear. Until tomorrow then...

Love, 

Tracie 

No comments: