Thursday, January 14, 2016

Re-Ignited and It Feels So Good

I was asked straight to my face this afternoon, "What is your dream? What is your purpose? What do you want to do with your life that you can't do right now? How do you see yourself? What do you see yourself doing with your life? Think big. I want you to think BIG. Imagine that there are no limits on your dream. So, what is your dream? Think about it and tell me when you come back to see me tomorrow."

Wow! I've sat in many church sermons about dreams. I've been to seminars and conferences where the speakers talked about dreams, achieving goals, etc. But, I've never had someone so passionately ask me straight to my face what my dream is, and what I feel my purpose in life is. When he was done asking me, I knew immediately what my dream is. Actually, what my dreamS are. It's not just one dream. It's three.

With everything that's happened in my life over the last oh, say, 21 years, I haven't thought much about my dreams. They kind of died the day I fractured my foot on Chuckanut Ridge in Bellingham, WA. (I know, funny name, beautiful place. But, brutal hike.) Actually, it was about a week later when I realized there really was a problem with my foot and I needed to get it checked out.
What should have been a quick 4-6 week recovery turned into a life-long, chronic disease that has robbed me of so much. However, had I not gone through all that I've gone through because of this disease, the dreams I have in my heart today wouldn't be there. Of that I am certain. I was selfish. I was heading down a road I shouldn't have been on. My dreams at the time of my injury were all about me, myself, and I. Yuck. Had I not fractured my foot, I know for a fact my life would not be what it is today. I actually shudder to think of where I could have ended up if I hadn't been protected by pain.

What? Did I really just say I was protected by pain? Yes! This past summer, I heard a preacher say the following statement, and it changed my life. Ready for it? Here it is... "What God doesn't protect you from, He'll preserve you in." God could have prevented me from fracturing my foot. He could have protected me from that tiny injury turning into a chronic disease called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. However, he has allowed me to experience serious pain and suffering, all the while preserving me in the process.

He has preserved me. He has helped me keep my heart soft when I could have very easily become a miserable and bitter person. He has allowed me to keep my joy, even when I thought I'd never feel joy again. He has allowed me to help other people with this disease, and with other chronic pain issues as well. He has taught me how to have deep compassion for people who are hurting. But, only because I know what deep hurt feels like.

So, in one afternoon, my dreams have been re-ignited. My focus is clear. My mission is before me and I am going to take it on head first. I'm getting my dreams back! I'm taking my identity back! As the amazing Bethel worship song says, "I am no longer a slave to fear. I am a child of God..." So, here goes the jump. I'm on the edge and my parachute is ready. Watch out world, 'cuz I'm about to leap. Now, worship with me... ‪#‎trustmuscles‬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8TkUMJtK5k

No comments: