Thursday, April 23, 2009

Hope In The Lord

As I was driving home from dropping my kids off at preschool this morning, I was following an unmarked white delivery truck of some sort. The only thing printed on the truck was "Isaiah 40:31." I wrote down the verse and continued on to the grocery store, all the while wondering what the verse said. I couldn't wait to get home and find out. When I read it, it was exactly what I needed to hear today. It says this. "...but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." - Isaiah 40:31.

I have heard this verse numerous times throughout my life, but this verse means so much to me now. Two years ago, this was my prayer...just to be able to walk. I had been in a wheelchair for about 3 months and really felt like I had no hope at times. It is a long story for another post, but basically I couldn't walk more than about two feet. And even that was almost more than I could bear. I have suffered from a neurological disorder that affects my feet and legs for about 15 years, but this was the worst it ever was. I was eight months pregnant with our daughter, Sarah. I thought that once I delivered her, I'd be able to get out of the wheelchair. I was wrong. I spent about 5 months in that chair. Isaiah 40:31 was one of the verses that the Lord gave to me in that dark and terrible time of pain. I'm great at remembering scripture, but I'm not very good at remembering the exact scripture references all the time, otherwise, I would have known exactly what this verse said. I believe God gave me this verse today as a reminder of where He has brought me to now, what he has brought me out of, how much he has healed me, given me hope, encouraged me to never give up and most of all, to trust him.

As you know from my earlier post, I've been dealing with back pain this week. Not uncommon to my life, but always a huge inconvenience. However, I can walk. I struggled a tiny bit in the grocery store this morning with the pain in my feet but, I remember when I couldn't even set foot in the grocery store. A few months after I got out of my wheelchair I could use the motorized carts and, eventually, regular carts (after about a year.) I am so unbelievably thankful for what the Lord has given back to me. I am still believing for total healing. Until then, I will praise him every day for what I can do, and forget about what I can't do.

To hope in the Lord is to expect that his promise of strength will help you to rise above life's distractions and difficulties. It also means trusting in God. Trusting helps us to be prepared when he speaks to us. Then we will be patient when he asks us to wait and expect him to fulfill the promises found in his Word. Even the strongest of people get tired at times, but God's power and strength never fail. He is never too tired or to busy to help and listen. His strength is our source of strength. When you feel like you are being crushed under the weight of your circumstances, or that you can't take another step (physically or emotionally), remember that you can call upon the Lord. He will renew your strength. Remember what He has done for you.

Here are some verses I'd like to leave you with:

Romans 5:2b - 5 - "And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

1 Peter 5:6 & 7 - "Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety o him because he cares for you."

Phil. 4:6 & 7 - "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

Phil. 4:13 - "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

No comments: