Wednesday, April 29, 2009

You Can Have Peace

We had Chinese food last night. I'm not eating sugar anymore, but I did open my fortune cookies and read them just for fun. I don't put any faith into what they say, I just like to read them and laugh. The first one said, "The most important relationship in your life is with yourself." The second one said, "If you look back, you'll soon be going that way." Now, if we are getting all spiritual, of course I would say that the most important relationship in my life is my relationship with Jesus. But, let's just take it for what it says. I really started thinking about how it's so true. If you are unhappy with yourself and are constantly down on yourself, then the other people around you are going to be unhappy too. Like, when I'm feeling all guilty about yelling at my kids, or not playing with them enough, or whatever the case may be, my kids suffer even more. If my thoughts and opinions of myself are those of guilt, shame, anger, ugliness, bitterness, etc. then it's automatically going to spill onto my kids and there will be no peace in my home.

It's weird because this was part of the message that our Pastor's wife, Sharon Kelly, spoke on Sunday. She said that we can have true peace even in the midst of chaos, but we have to choose to have peace. She also said that if you want to know the true peace of God, you have to accept who you are. Psalm 139:13-16 says this, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." See, God knew you before you were even a thought in your parents' mind. He created you and His works are wonderful. You are wonderful. He sees you as precious, a miracle. If you aren't seeing yourself that way, you should. None of us are perfect. None of us deserve mercy, and yet He freely gives it.

If your thoughts about yourself are full of negativity and strife, then pray this prayer in the same Psalm as was quoted above. "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." - Psalm 139:23-24 The Lord will reveal to you any sin in your life that you need to deal with so that you can "continue on in the way everlasting." It may be that the reason you are feeling so down on yourself is because of sin in your life that you need to deal with. However, that's not always the case. It could be because someone has spoken harshly to you, called you names, abused you in some way, or convinced you that you are a bad person. Whatever the cause is, there is healing available to you through Jesus. If you don't know Jesus, you can know him any time you want. He is ready and waiting to accept us just as we are. He wants to give you a peace that passes all understanding. You can have that peace.

If you've never asked Jesus into your heart, it's very simple. It's the best thing you could ever do for yourself and for your family. All you have to do is pray this simple prayer:

"Dear Lord, I admit that I am a sinner. I have done many things that don’t please you. I have lived my life for myself. I am sorry and I repent. I ask you to forgive me. I believe that you died on the cross for me, to save me. You did what I could not do for myself. I come to you now and ask you to take control of my life, I give it to you. Help me to live every day in a way that pleases you. I love you, Lord, and I thank you that I will spend all eternity with you. Amen."

He loves you. He wants a relationship with you, and he chose you. But, he leaves it up to us whether we will choose him or not. If you already know Jesus, and even if you don't, Paul teaches us in Phillippians 4:7-9 that we are to think on things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely,admirable, excellent or praiseworthy. If we think on these things, then the God of peace will be with us. He also tells us in verses 6 & 7 to not be anxious about anything, but in everything, with thanksgiving, we are to let the Lord know what we need; and when we do that, the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. Whenever you start to worry, pray. True peace is not found in positive thinking (as in, new age thinking), in the absence of problems or conflict, or in "good" feelings. It comes from knowing that God is in control. If you know Jesus, then your citizenship in His kingdom is sure, your destiny is set, and you can have victory over sin. Let God's peace guard your heart against anxiety. What are you putting into your mind? Who are you listening to? The second fortune cookie said that if you look back, you'll soon be going that way. That is so true as well! Don't stay in the past, move on! The minute you ask Jesus to forgive you, it's done. He remembers your sin no more. Replace negative and horrible thoughts about yourself with the thoughts of God. If you don't know the thoughts of God, get into His Word. Read what HE says about you and you will begin to have peace.

Wow! I didn't mean to "get my preach on" just from a couple fortune cookies! But, I believe that someone will read this who will need to hear it. God bless each of you as you go through your day. I pray that anyone who reads this blog will come to know Jesus if they don't already know him. And that those who do will be blessed, encouraged and strengthened.

No comments: