Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Gospel, To Me

The past two weeks have been very emotional, stressful, chaotic, hectic, and yet somehow wonderful at the same time. We lost my Uncle Dennis to cancer on Saturday night, September 12th. As I entered the date of his death in the front of my bible, I realized just how many people I have loved that were also on that list. The thought that came to me was a weird one. What was once a big family is now the same family, just in two separate places: one we can see, and one we can't.

I have never really handled death well. Even though I know where I'm going, I believe it purely by faith. When my faith is shaken, I am shaken. Death shakes me up. It doesn't make me doubt what I believe, in fact, it makes it all the more real. But, to see the earthly realm and the spiritual realm come together is awe inspiring to say the least, and to be honest, it kind of freaks me out. How can anyone say that there is no afterlife after watching someone pass away, or being with them moments or hours before they do. You can sense that there is something powerful going on as they make their transition from this life to the next. You want to hang on to them, yet you want them to go because where they are going is so wonderful, that is, if they know Jesus.

I am done being shy about telling people about Jesus. I can't bear the thought of anyone suffering for all of eternity. Not when I look at their soul through the eyes of Jesus. Believe me, some people take a little more work than others when you're trying to see the good in them. But, they are still living, breathing souls created by God just like you and me. Not one of us on earth is worthy of God's grace, and yet He gives it freely to all people. We don't deserve an eternity in Heaven. Yet, all we have to do is call upon the name of the Lord, confess with our mouth that we are a sinner and that we need a Savior, ask God to forgive our sins, and then ask Jesus to come into our heart as Lord of our life. It's that simple.

People try to complicate the gospel of Jesus. Here is the gospel, real and simple to me: A man goes through his entire life running away from church, maybe even despising or resenting it. He drowns his sorrows in alcohol and cigarettes. He screams at his wife and kids, forcing their young family to separate. He spends the rest of his years basically in solitude, with the exception of a few good friends, and his extended family. He spends his moments reading history books, one of his passions. He is a master at refinishing furniture and turning what is ugly into something beautiful. His other passion is fishing, and sharing his latest catch with his family. He has a gift of making wonderful smoked salmon. He suffers a stroke, and we finally see his heart. His wonderful heart. He is still gruff, still mean sometimes, but we know he's opened up a bit. He has many questions about God and why He let his Dad die, then his Mom. He gets angry, yet he's still softer than before. He is diagnosed with cancer. He is angry and confused, and scared. He gets to reconnect with his daughters and grandsons for a weekend at the ocean. A miracle indeed. He is given less than a year to live. Six months later, he is given 4-6 weeks to live. He is sent home, then sent right back to the hospital where he learns he is dying. He wants to go home, but goes to a hospice house, where he needs to be. He is angry, in agonizing pain, agitated, mean, not ready to die. He will not stay in bed. He has no peace. He has many questions about Jesus, which his brother-in-law answers. He calms down a bit but is still not sure what will happen to him when he dies. His niece is sweet and bold. She asks him if he wants to ask Jesus into his heart. He says, "Yes." She says all he needs to say is, "Please, Jesus." So, he does. She leads him in prayer and he becomes a Christian. He finally falls asleep, peaceful at last. He dies the next day. He is now forever with Jesus, in peace, perfect peace. It didn't matter that he never lived his life for Jesus on earth, although he missed out on so many blessings and would have been spared much heartache if he had. What mattered is that God gave him a second chance. We all deserve a second chance. That is the gospel to me.

I am not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ. He has never left me or forsaken me and I know he never will. No matter what I'm going through right now, trying as it may be, it will pass. It seems so insignificant in comparison to eternity. What am I doing today that will impact forever? What are you doing?

No comments: