Friday, April 19, 2013

My Biggest Fan

(Featured in the April Issue of Surrender Magazine.)

Do you watch American Idol?  The Voice?  Football?  Basketball?  Do you have favorite musicians, actors or actresses, artists, authors, or athletes?  If so, you are probably a fan of someone.  I've been watching American Idol this season.  I love music and I love seeing young singers, songwriters, and musicians get the chance to live their dream.  I love watching some of them who come from very tough childhoods be able to rise above their challenges and just go for it!  What these young people get to experience is truly amazing. 

It's always interesting to read comments on social media about contestants who were voted off of a particular show, or about an athlete who confessed to using drugs, or an actress who wore the perfect, or not-so-perfect dress on the red carpet.  Fans are very fanatical about the people they admire, even to the point of overlooking serious faults and defending that person no matter what they've done.  They remain a fan despite the insults and somewhat colored remarks that are being flung at them.  They continue to point out the good things about the person they admire.  They are sometimes irrational in their devotion.  They continue to support the person, whether it be through voting for them to win a contest, sending them financial contributions, buying their merchandise, going to their concerts or sporting events, etc., etc.  They are a true fan.

The dictionary doesn't have a definition for the word "fan" in the sense of what I've been talking about.  What it does have are words associated with the word "fan."  Some of those words are: admirer, enthusiast, devotee, fanatic, follower, groupie, junkie, lover, supporter, rooter, and believer.  Wow!  No wonder famous people love their fans so much!  Who wouldn't want someone who admires you, who is enthusiastic about you, who is devoted to you, who is fanatical about you or what you do, who follows you, who loves you, supports you, roots for you, and believes in you?  Sounds great to me!  I have good news for anyone who has ever wanted to have a fan.  You already have one, and his name is Jesus. 

Jesus is, always has been, and always will be my biggest fan.  He loved me when my heart was broken, he believed in me when I wanted to quit, he cheers me on on those days when I feel like I just can't take another step.  He is fanatical about me.  He follows me closely and whispers encouraging words in my ear.  He has defended me and brought me justice in the face of false accusations.  He has forgiven me and shown good in me when I've done wrong.  He is devoted to me.  He is the lover of my soul.

Jesus has never let go of me and he will never let go of you.  No matter what you've done or are doing wrong, no matter how many times you yell at him and cry out in frustration, no matter how many mistakes you make, how many times you fail, he will always be with you.  He will always be for you.  If you wander away from him, he will go after you.  There is no where you can go to escape his love.  That is the good news!  However, there is another part to this.  When we sin, there are consequences.  No matter how much of a fan you are of someone, if they break the law they are going to jail.  You can stand outside the jail with signs and picket lines and protest at the top of your lungs, but they are still going to have to do their time.  The same goes for us.  Some people see God's grace as a "get out of jail free" card.  It is not that, but so much more. 

Because God is our loving Father, he knows what's best for us.  He knows when we need discipline and when we need justice.  He knows when we need help and when we need to push through and do something on our own.  He knows when to cheer us on and when to close a door so we won't go down the wrong path.  Because he loves us and because he is our biggest fan he will always do what is best for us.  It may not seem like it when we're going through really tough circumstances, but he is always with us.  If you have given your life to Jesus and you are struggling right now in any area of your life wondering where God is and why he isn't hearing your cries for help, rest assured that he is there.  He hears you.  If he's chosen not to intervene yet on your behalf, then it must be the most loving thing he could be doing for you to leave you where you are.  Only he knows what the next minute, hour, day, or year will bring.  Trust that he knows the end from the beginning and he will be with you until the very end.  It says in Matthew 28:20 that surely he will be with us, even to the very end of the age.  He isn't going anywhere.

Jesus is your biggest fan.  He's cheering for you as you run your race, this race called life.  He wants you to succeed and he will not fail you.  I'm so thankful that he is irrational in his love for me.  It seems like every day I could find a reason why God shouldn't love me the way he does, forgive me the way he does, extend his grace the way he does.  Yet, I've learned to accept his love.  I've learned that he is indeed pleased with me, in spite of all my faults and shortcomings.  I know without a doubt that my life is blessed, no matter what each day brings.  Even if the whole world turns against me, Jesus is still my biggest fan.  I pray that you will come to understand and believe that he is your biggest fan as well.  When you are confident in that, you will have peace and courage to live your life for him.

"May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word." - 2 Thessalonians 2:16-17

No comments: