Friday, April 12, 2013

Promises

"Remember your word to your servant,
    for you have given me hope.
My comfort in my suffering is this:
    Your promise preserves my life."
~ Psalm 119:49-50
 
God's promises are true.  God cannot lie.  His Word is Truth.  When he said in His Word that he loves us, that he is with us, that he is pleased with us, that he is jealous for us...he meant it.  There are many things that can cause us to doubt what God says about us.  Some of those things are people, the devil, suffering in our bodies, financial hardships, natural disasters, car accidents, etc.  When negative things happen to us or to someone we love, how do we react?  For me, I tend to freak out first and come to my senses later.  Sometimes that happens quickly, other times it doesn't. 
 
For as long as I can remember, I've been a worrier.  I admit it.  I know what I'm supposed to do.  I know what the Bible says about worrying yet, I struggle with it.  Here's a "duh" statement...God knows this about me.  He already knows that I'm weak in this area, so he sends me things to help me.  He lets me know without a doubt that he is with me.  He gives me peace in my soul when my physical body is screaming in pain.  He nudges a friend to text me an encouraging word, or surprise me with flowers.  As the Psalm above says, his promise literally has preserved my life.
 
There were some dark days in my life where I was not in a good place, mentally and emotionally, because of unrelenting physical pain.  What got me through those days were the quiet whispers in my heart from the Holy Spirit.  He told me over and over again what his promises were and are for my life.  He gave me scriptures that spoke straight into my heart and encouraged me.
 
"I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he turned to me and heard my cry.
 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand."
~ Psalm 40:1-2
 
There have been many times when I've felt like I was in a slimy pit, left to be devoured by pain and torment.  God was with me then and he is with me now.  He indeed lifted me out of the slimy pit and set me back on solid ground.  He hasn't completely healed my body, but I'm no longer in a pit of despair. 
 
This has been a rough week for me, pain wise.  I really don't like to focus on this subject, but if I can't be honest about this being part of my life right now then what good will that do?  When people would ask me how I was doing, I used to lie and say, "I'm fine."  I had to stop doing that because I knew it wasn't the truth.  I had friends get very upset with me and say, "Stop telling me what you think I want to hear and just tell me how you're really doing!"  So, I did.  Some of those friends are still around, and some aren't.  That was really hard for me.  I've come to realize now that what one friendship can endure, another one just can't.  And that's OK. 
 
God has brought some incredible people into my life and I thank him for them every day.  He promised me that I would have great friends, and I do.  He promised me that he would bring me a husband who would be loyal to me and be my biggest support, and he did.  He promised me that I would never again be back in that pit of despair, and I'm not.  Even though the pain I'm in at times feels as though it's going to crush me, his promise to me is this:
 
"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed."
~ 2 Corinthians 4:7-9
 
His promise is that I WILL survive this!  I may be hard pressed on every side, but I will not be crushed.  I may not understand the reason why I'm continuing to suffer in my body, but I will not despair.  I may be persecuted or made fun of for being in my wheelchair at times, but I will not be abandoned.  I don't have to do this life alone.  I may be struck down over and over again, but he promises I will not be destroyed.  Every breath we take comes from God.  We are the jars of clay.  God is the potter.  Whatever means he uses to mold and shape me with, I know he is using every single ounce for my benefit and His glory.  He is my Creator, therefore I trust him 100% and I believe that he WILL finish this good work that he has started.
 
I don't know what you are dealing with today, but I hope you will be encouraged that God's promises are true for you.  He loves you.  As always, I am praying for you, whoever you are. 
 
Much Love,
 
Tracie


No comments: