Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Day 1: When Disappointment Comes Knocking

Hello again! It's been several months since my last blog post. I have wanted to write many times since then, but I guess you could say I've been "stuck." There are many reasons for this, but I will explain more at a later time. I feel like I am able to start writing again, so I am going to challenge myself. They say is takes twenty-one days to form a habit. Some research studies say it's longer depending on what type of habit you're trying to form. But, for the sake of a familiar number, I'm going to commit to blogging every day for twenty-one days.

In the past, my blogging style has been to write only when I'm inspired by something, or if I had an article due for a magazine and was forced by a deadline. There wasn't any consistency really, as far as the number of posts in one month. As life's challenges began to pile up, my posts became even more inconsistent. I would like to change that, which is why I'm challenging myself over the next three weeks. It is my hope that you will be encouraged and inspired to challenge yourself to form a positive habit of your own, or that you will at least be encouraged by my posts. So, without further ado, I begin Day 1:

I had to make a decision today that caused me great disappointment. By great disappointment, I mean crying, frustration, an honest chat with God, a little "huffing and puffing", the whole bit. I was supposed to begin a project tomorrow that I have been dreaming of starting since I was a little girl. Once again, my physical ailments were the reason I had to make the decision to postpone my dream project.

If you've read my past posts, you know that I have dealt with physical pain for almost two decades. If you're new to my blog, I won't go into detail in this post, but I encourage you to read my past posts for the history behind what I struggle with daily. I have endured many disappointments over the last nineteen years due to chronic illness, but today was different. It wasn't just about missing a birthday party or a night out with my friends. This was about my big dream being delayed...again. I was tempted to get depressed and just eat chocolate and watch the same movie over and over and forget about blogging today. (Because, isn't that what we do when we're depressed? Maybe that's just me...) But, I've learned a lot about myself in the last year. I know that once I start down that road, it's very hard to get my focus back and return to doing the things God has called me to do in spite of my afflictions. So, with a piece of dark chocolate in hand, I turned to my daily bread; the Word of God.

This is the scripture God gave me, from the Amplified Bible:

"For the vision is yet for an appointed time and it hastens to the end [fulfillment]; it will not deceive or disappoint. Though it tarry, wait [earnestly] for it, because it will surely come; it will not be behindhand on its appointed day." Habakkuk 2:3

The entire book of Habakkuk is about Habakkuk asking God difficult questions, and then waiting for God to answer him. He was deeply troubled because he saw a dying world and it broke his heart. He asked, "Why is there evil in the world? Why do the wicked seem to be winning?" He was a man who sought answers, and he boldly and confidently took his complaints directly to God. And God answered him with tremendous proof and prediction that things were going to be better.

I brought my questions and complaints to God today, boldly and confidently. I was upset because it seems like everything is against me at times. I get back up only to be knocked right back down again. But for me, what God was saying is that the dream He has promised me WILL come to pass in His perfect time. Tomorrow was not the perfect time, but the day is coming when it will be. And it will be beyond what I could ever have hoped for or imagined.  

The book of Habakkuk ends with with a prayer of triumph. God answered his questions and he had a new understanding of God's love and power. He rejoiced in who God is and what he was going to do. He said in verses 3:18-19:

"Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the [victorious] God of my salvation! The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds’ feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!"

Wow! I mean, WOW! What an encouragement those scriptures are to me! Especially because I'm having trouble walking right now due to pain and extreme dizziness. Yet, the Lord has promised me that this season will not last forever and I believe him with my whole heart.

I encourage you to read the entire chapter of Habakkuk for yourself. It's awesome. When disappointment comes knocking, slam the door in it's face. Go to the Word of God and get the truth of what God says about your circumstances. Eat chocolate if need be. :) But don't let the enemy take control of your thoughts and make you doubt the promises of God. He is weak and powerless. Put him back under your feet where he belongs. Until tomorrow then...

Love,

Tracie

No comments: